Tuesday, December 8, 2009

High Fructose Corn Syrup!

I always like to share the latest on my "nutritional findings" and I have found yet another scary factor. I guess this is something I already knew, but did not necessarily know why. High fructose corn syrup is a monster. It's in almost everything...from a box that is. I was amazed to discover how many things it really is in. It's in fruit snacks (good luck weaning my kids from those things!), crackers, bread, pasta sauces, bacon, wheat thins and other crackers, it's even in some health products like protein bars and even sodas that claim to be "natural". What! The saddest one for me was that it's in frozen yogurt, one of my favorites.

High fructose corn syrup is extremely soluble and mixes well in many foods. It is cheap to produce, so of course that is what "they" feed us. It was derived from corn, hence corn syrup, as is much of our food here in America, which is actually not the best news. Over the course of a ten year period, it was found in double the amount of products it was used in previously. Cheap crappy products spread like wildfire in the money making world, unfortunately. You have to be so careful anymore when you are purchasing weight loss products, nutritional products, and snacks. Go ahead and read your boxes of food at home for high fructose corn syrup...you might be as surprised as I was. Although, it also hides under other names so it's probably in even more than I have found so far. Not that we can give up everything that contains this product in it, come on...frozen yogurt! no way, but just to limit ourselves where we can will be very beneficial to our health in the long run!

2 comments:

Becca said...

Unfortunately, the need to limit is true for all sugars, even good ol' cane.

Joanna said...

I wasn't sure if you are still in Utah, but Health Essentials Nutrition Center in Spanish Fork sells natural frozen yogurt. It's good! Give it a try when you get the chance.

I read "Fast Food Nation" and "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" a few months ago. It's scary how much junk is snuck into our food.